Africa is a unique partner for Portugal and the EU for historical and geographical reasons. Africa and Europe have developed a long-term, broad and evolving partnership across various policy areas and Portugal is committed to the AU-EU High Level Policy Dialogue on Science, Technology and Innovation(HLPD-STI), through FCT, I. P., the forum where regular exchanges on research and innovation policy take place and long-term priorities to strengthen cooperation are decided.
Since the HLPD-STI was adopted at the 3rd AU-EU Summit in Tripoli in 2010 it has been an important element of the Joint Africa-EU Strategy and is currently discussing one joint AU-EU Innovation Agenda with African partners, in the wake of 2022 being European Year of Youth, to serve as a strategic guide in the EU-AU research and innovation cooperation going forward.
In the run-up to the summit, the first edition of the Africa-Europe week, that aims to strengthen the links that connect people from both our continents, will be a key moment to bring together young people, civil society and the private sector from Africa and Europe to discuss the aspects of the Africa-EU Partnership that matter to them the most, including the various research and innovation cooperation initiatives.
Some of the highlights are:
- Feb. 14th – 11:00-13:00: Science for Africa-EU partnership [Side event: DG JRC];
- Feb. 14th – 16:30-18:30: Fostering a crosscontinental Africa-Europe dialogue on ocean governance [Side event: DG MARE, Portugal and The Africa-Europe Foundation];
- Feb. 15th – 13:30-15:30: How can the FNSSA and the CCSE Partnerships contribute to building stronger value chains for sustainable growth and jobs in Africa and in the EU [DG RTD];
- Feb. 15th – 15:30-17:30: Space for sustainable development, COPERNICUS / GMES and Africa Partnership [DG DEFIS, DG JRC, DG INTPA, African Union Commission, ESA, EUMETSAT];
- Feb. 17th – 09:00-11:00: Reflections on a common research and innovation agenda for agroecological transitions of agri-food systems under AU/EU policy frameworks [DG INTPA, DeSIRA-LIFT and FARA, Agrinatura, COLEACP]. For more details please check the event portal: Africa – Europe Week 2022
Portal de entrada/Fonte: Africa-Europe Week | International Partnerships (europa.eu)